Cheats focaccia Recipe
By Jael Davison & adapted from a Darina Allen recipe
- Preheat oven to 200 C/ 400 f/ gas 6
- Sieve flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add oil and buttermilk, give it a good mix with your hand or a spoon, don’t over mix it or the finished product will be tough. The dough should be soft, not too wet and sticky.
- Oil a 23 x 32 cm swiss roll tin generously with olive oil, gently press the dough into the tin, brush the surface with olive oil. Sprinkle on a little sea salt.
- Bake for approx. 20 mins till crisp and golden on top.
Best eaten on the day it is made, preferably warm straight from the oven.
For a more Mediterranean flavour add 1 tsp Italian herbs and 2 cloves crushed garlic to the dry mixture. Top the dough with a few olives, red onion slices and some fresh rosemary. After it has finished cooking, brush again with olive oil.
This is good toasted the next day. It can also be frozen. After defrosting wrap in foil and place in a warm oven for 10 mins.
This bread is also perfect for pressed Italian sandwiches (muffuletta).