Martina, thank you so much for spending these 15 questions with us. You work in Head office as Procurement Manager. Could you tell us a bit more about yourself?
I have been working for Neylons for the last 9 years, time flies! I finished college in 2010, graduating with a degree in Information Systems Management. Unfortunately, it was in the middle of a recession, so I had no work for a few months. I was working part-time in 2 jobs and then got a job cleaning a school for Neylons in the evenings in my local village, from there I got promoted to a supervisor role in a residential home in Galway, then onto a Site Managers role in the Hermitage Clinic for 2 years. After that I was in an operations role, helping & supporting the team nationwide, with training, Auditing & Covering. Then moved into accounts payable & from that then I am now in my current role as Procurement Manager.
- What motivates you to wake up and go to work?
I like to help & support people. Since I have worked with Neylons it’s been a constant learning experience. I come from a sporting background & I learned that there is no “I” in Team. We all work & help each other to get to the end goal.
- What does a typical day look like as a Procurement Manager?
A typical day can consist of supporting managers with queries on our procurement system to getting pricing for jobs. Making sure we have compliance with all our suppliers/contractors nationwide. Ensuring a good relationship with all our suppliers & quality of service. Reporting & Analysis of what we spend & buy – getting the most value from our suppliers. Chasing & disputing problems. Reviewing purchases nationwide & make sure all our accounts are on budget.
- What is one of the career lessons you’ve learned so far?
Take any constructive feedback on board, our peers are there to help & guide us in our career progression. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- What do you find the most challenging in your role?
Making sure all parties be it suppliers or our own managers get the support they need. Every day is different, bringing different tasks, queries & problems.
- What aspect of your role do you enjoy the most?
Diversity-every day is different!
- How do you define success?
Success is being fulfilled, happy, safe, healthy & loved. If you can reach those goals, be it professionally or personally you are on the right track.
- What do you always want to try and never did?
- What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I can’t swim.
- What would be three words to best describe you?
Caring, supportive, dependable.
- Do you recall any embarrassing/funny moments at work?
Yes, recently I misplaced a certificate, it was in my desk drawer the whole time! Thank you, Alexandra, for remembering!!
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- What tv show/movie are you ashamed to admit you love?
Dallas – Country girl through & through!
- What do you like to do on your days off?
Road trips, I love sightseeing & the outdoors. Also, spending time with my friends, family & my dog Rosie.
- Best vacation you have been to?
Romania, lovely to experience the culture.
- Which cartoon character would you most like to switch lives with?
Roadrunner, “Beep Beep”